can a home theater system without hdmi input play sound from blue ray player if i

whocares

Jun 5, 2008
use hdmi to tv and audio? cables to home theater system or will it not get the audio because of the hdmi hook up to the tv

To get sound from the home theater from your blu ray disc player you have to connect an optical cable from the player to the home theater. Hooking it up to the tv with HDMI only and using optical cable back to the home theater will only result in stereo sound (of course I have not done this, reason is the tv does not have the source for multi channel). Hope this will help you out.

Connect HDMI from Blu-ray player and cable box to TV for video then optical cable or composite cables ( red & white ) from them to Home Theater System for audio.

It all depends on how your system is set up. You should be able to use your TV's audio out connections. This way it's HDMI going in but RCA going out to your system. You can also hook up RCA cables from the blu-ray player to the system and still have HDMI hooked to the TV. I would recommend this way over the first idea.

If you player allows it you can send just the video to the TV via HDMI. You can then either send the audio separately from the Blu-ray player to the home theater (if you want surround sound) or via RCA cables from the TV to the surround sound (if you are OK with just two channels of audio, since TVs don't pass surround sound).

Back