Do you think it is possible to learn karate from a book ?

Betsy

May 17, 2008
I have a beginners karate book at my house and I want to learn how to defend myself since I am a girl and everything ... Im sure my parents wont get me a tazer of pepper spray and I cant classes so yea .

Well, it's obviously more recommendable to receive classes from an instructor and usually karate is more of a light contact, competitive sport and it usually has some degree of focus on the ceremony involved in the martial art itself.
I've found some great self-defense videos on the internet that are immediately focused on teaching quick and practical ways to defend yourself and give you a more emergency-centered focus on what a battle is.
Karate is a great tool to defend yourself, but since you have no competitors or teacher, it's harder for you to have a measurement of your own capacities when encountering an attacker.

It is possible, but I'd would use it just as a guide or complement to actual self-defense learning.

Hello Betsy Good Luck with that. Seriously its better than nothing. Maybe its worse if you dont know what you are doing. With out teacher to give proper attitude its like dance. With any effort the more put into it may give better results. Get books from library, etc. Find class you can afford. Y?

You can study it all you want but until you actually experience it first hand, you won't get a lot out of the book I don't think. Perhaps try working on self defense with a friend or something. Make sure that you be safe and never try to hurt each other while doing so. Good Luck!

Um...like anything learning from a person is more effective, but ya learning from a book works to. Teaching yourself can probably get you good enough to defend yourself but learning from a teacher and taking a class will be more effective and such.

have you heard of rich franklin? he's a former light heavy weight champ in the ufc. anyways, he started out with the "how to" videos and hitting bags in his backyard and eventually became LHW champ in the ufc. anyways, you can try it. it definitely isn't going to hurt anything. also, check youtube for tips and techniques.

it is possible but it is not convenient. You don't have a master to make sure that you are doing your form properly

to be honest when you really do get in a fight karate wont work i once took real karate classes its useless it won't work

You could learn some, yes. Would you be effective in a self-defense situtation with just knowledge from a Karate book? Probably not. Even people that are black belts in Karate don't have a 100% guarantee against all attackers and attacks.

It would be better than nothing. If you took it seriously and were dedicated to it, you exercised, and everything you could squeeze something out of it. But, most people don't have enough personal discipline to even do that.

You may be able to pull off a simple move that may protect you in self-defense. But, if you have someone who wanted to seriously fistfight you, your book Karate wouldn't help much if at all.

If you wanted something to learn from a book to apply to defend yourself I would study boxing. Karate is just too complicated to learn much from a book alone. Boxing you can gain basic knowledge quickly from a book. Your chances of applying it in real self-defense is much higher than Karate.

So, go find a boxing book if you want to go this route. It would do you more good than a Karate one. A book is definetly limited in helping you. But, if you take it seriously and do the exercises it recommend and get yourself in shape, you will get some benefit out of it. If you have a friend you can always buy 2 pair of boxing gloves and spar with them light contact to help you out too. In boxing you can also do part of your work on a heavy bag also. A boxing book is just easier to apply because it just deals with punches. All the kicks and weird strikes Karate does will be too complicated. You will get boxing punches down much faster and better.

Back