Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it a good thing to force a child to play sports or ride a bike if

they're not interested? There's this 6 year old boy who's mum is always signing him up for little league sports and trying to get him to play in games that he's clearly not interested in. He'd rather play with his lego blocks and toy cars/trucks and other 'boys' toys. He's not overweight or lazy and has a lot of creative imagination, but for some reason, his mum thinks he's missing out on something because his dad isn't in the picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My parents did this to me when I was younger. Me and My brother we raised 100% differently. They always letted my brother chose which sport he wanted to play. I was forced to horseback-ride. I hated it, and I begged my parents to let me quite. When I went into high school, I wanted to try-out for the football team. When I told my parents, they hit the roof.

My coach was a bad as my parents, and I would always get "made fun of" if a kid from my school found out what sport I did. I got grounded "punished" dozens of times, only for say that I hated horse-back riding. I had a passion for football, and my parents ruined my future.

I am no 20 years old, and a student at a community college. When I transfer to a university, I want to try-out for the football team. But my parents really knew how to disappoint my life. I got no benefit from this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    She should try to find another alternative exercise. There are few children that are overweight at 6 years old so that doesn't mean much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mandating one sport a season for a child of that age is a good thing. It develops skills that would prevent the child playing if they developed an interest later in life. Mixing up the sports and giving the child between to is a better way to go about it. It doesn't have to be the same thing every year either. Look for alternative sports/physical activities that the kid can try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i agree if year after year the boy is not interested and the mom signs him up every year then it would be a problem. if she just keeps signing him up for the wrong things then eventually she will find what he likes. if he's not in to sports then maybe he's into music, art or theater.

Downloads
    Uploads
    His mother wants her son to experience a full range of activities. 6 years old is to early to discount any type of recreation. But it could be that the child is "wired" for activities other than organized sports.

Downloads
    Uploads
    His mother wants her son to experience a full range of activities. 6 years old is to early to discount any type of recreation. But it could be that the child is "wired" for activities other than organized sports.

Downloads
    Uploads
    it's a good thing to keep a kid active - this doesn't particularly mean ATHLETIC, or that he has to play sports. Try explaining it to the mom. There are tons of creative ways she can make sure her son is getting exercise, meeting new people, and not missing out on any of the fun. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't feel children should be forced into sports. It is one thing to rent an age appropriate movie about soccer to try to get your child excited about it, but if they kick and scream and beg you not to make them go, then they shouldn't have to go. Forcing a child into sports just causes resentment. Its not fun if its forced.

Kids should be "forced" to play outside, but what they do outside should be their choice (as long as its safe). Kids should be "forced" to take one class a year, but it should be their choice. He should be able to do a sport, or an art class, or a music class, or... whatever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    she shoulndt force him into it and my son is doing almost the same thing he is only 3 tho and his dad isnt in the pic he will grow out of it...she cant force him she has to let him move on his own that what my peditriction said. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast