Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starter problem or battery? Toyota 4 Runner?

I have a 1998 Toyota 4 Runner.. About a week or so ago, I forgot I turned the back light on (in the rear/trunk area) and it was on for the whole night & maybe half the next day.

Now, when I start the car, when I turn the key it takes several seconds to start, sometimes the first time I turn the key doesn't start the car.. Getting kinda worried and I think it's just a matter of time before it doesn't start at all.

Could this be the battery power being low? Or could it be a starter going out? Any suggestions? I don't remember having this issue until the light was on, but it could be another issue.

Let me just say I had my car serviced 2 days ago, they said everything was fine. But, I forgot to tell them about the starter, and it was really bad yesterday where it wouldn't start the first time I turned the key?

Worried about going to a shop and getting something I don't need.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if the starter cranks the engine over quickly, then the problem is not likely the battery. If there is a delay between the time you hit the key and it starts cranking, then the starter relay may have a contact or ground issue, or the key switch may be getting flaky. You can test this by jumping power from the pos terminal of the battery to the small terminal on the starter, it should crank over right away.. if it still delays, then the starter solenoid contacts may be burnt or the solenoid is sticking, trying to get the starter gear engaged into the flywheel.
    Otherwise, I agree to charge your battery for a good 24 hours on a 1 amp charger then load test it, and check your alternator for proper voltage and amperage output, but don't disconnect your battery when it's running, your battery, even if it's not supplying power to the vehicle, still acts as a big capacitor in the system, and disconnecting it could cause a spike and blow some expensive electronic modules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok well lets see all u need to do is to remove the battery cable fo about ten minutes to reset the internal computer this should cure the problem if this doesn't you need a charging system check u can have this done at any Advance Auto Parts store for free check it out it doesn't hurt

Downloads
    Uploads
    swing by a local parts store to have the battery and alternator checked, free of charge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    don't worry tomorrow you can go to any sears and them check your battery for free

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your lights staying on like that could have hurt your alternator. Start your car and take the battery cables off, of your battery post, if your car stops than it is your alternator . Leaving the light on probablyy burned a cell in your battery and you will have to either take your battery out and hook it up to a battery charger. If the car still runs than you mostlyy need a new battery. I would check and see if my alternator is still good and putting out a good amps. If your battery won't hold a charge than it runs off of the alternator which will hurt it. I think it's your battery and maybe the alternator. The starter would not be hurt by leaving on the lights.Also you might have a wiring problem that caused all this if your lights are staying on.

Unregistered

97 Toyota 4runner

I'm Having a problem with my 4runner with it starting. I just moved to tn a couple months ago a noticed it have a delay in the start when i would turn it over. As soon as it started getting cold it got worse, I would have to turn and turn and turn the key and then it would turn over. Then i noticed as soon as it got alittle warm out it would turn over alot easier. Now its cold out it wont turn over at all, So i tried jumping it off and it worked so i went and got a new battery and but it in got new connectors for it and its still nopt turning over even if i try jumping it off. I have no clue what it would be now? Would anyone now what it might be. Or what i need to do?