Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I set up PS3 internet access through Telus's second dynamic IP address...

...using a "switch"? Hardware:

Playstation 3 80GB
    Toshiba Laptop
    (Telus) Siemens Gigaset SE567 Wireless Router
    D-link Modem (adsl)

ASOUND Petit Switch

I have a Internet Plan with Telus where I have two "dynamic" IP addresses. One of which is the public one? Where I can run a server off of and have scans come in etc etc, and then the home IP one (192.168.*.*). I have the DSL cable go into the Router giving me internet of the 192.168, wireless to everything, so everything works there. But I want to hook up my laptop and PS3 to the second IP so I can run a server (small ps2 game type), but I connect the DSL internet cable into the D-Link, I then run a cord from there into the Switch (only one port for this on the D-Link. Then I connect my Laptop to the switch which gives me the alternate IP I need. But the PS3 gives me a DNS Error, Server timeout, and a couple other ones when I try to go through there. The router has no internet even if I connect a cord from the switch to the router. I want to have wireless internet of the (192.168.*.*) all over the house, but I also want to have the alternate IP connect to my Laptop. I've tried everything I can think of and I cant get internet on the PS3, or the Router, do I need more hardware or different hardware, please help me as best you can, and in as much detail as possible. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am afraid you are mis-interpreting your Internet Plan

You will have 2 dynamic IP addresses alright

One will be the IP address the world sees. This address is provided by your ISP when the modem requests it.
    You can find that IP address by following this Link
    http://www.whatismyip.com/

The second is the IP address your modem assigns your router (or your computer). This IP address is just used for comms between the modem and the router (Computer)

If you have a router, then you actually have a 3rd set of IP addresses that are assigned by the DHCP server in your router.

The point is that there is no "second" Internet IP address that you can use to run a server. In fact, if you check our those terms of service closely, you'll most likely find that you are prohibited from running a server on your residential system.

Hope that clears it up.

Sorry

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am afraid you are mis-interpreting your Internet Plan

You will have 2 dynamic IP addresses alright

One will be the IP address the world sees. This address is provided by your ISP when the modem requests it.
    http://www.whatismyip.com/

The second is the IP address your modem assigns your router (or your computer). This IP address is just used for comms between the modem and the router (Computer)

If you have a router, then you actually have a 3rd set of IP addresses that are assigned by the DHCP server in your router.

The point is that there is no "second" Internet IP address that you can use to run a server. In fact, if you check our those terms of service closely, you'll most likely find that you are prohibited from running a server on your residential system.

Hope that clears it up.

Sorry

Unregistered

What Is My IP | Shows Your IP Address.
    There is a similar ip search site called IP-Details.com to check our External ip address. Here it display IP address, ISP, Location, Country and so on,...