Dog breeds for the outdoors?

I am looking for medium sized dog breeds that would be good at handling the outdoors. That would be able to handle a lot of hiking and stuff. Are there any specific breeds that you recomend?

I ran into a guy once who did endurance cross-country running- 20 miles a day with a labrador retriever who was ahead of him (according to him at least,) the entire way.

Try any of the hunting breeds- labs, goldens, pointers, etc. All the ones that would go out and hunt in the wild all day- since wildlife tends to not be frequently found in urban areas it generally involves hiking and that should suit your purposes well. :)

Lab, Weimaraner, German Shep., Look in to weimaraner especially, they're kinda big like labs but have a thinner frame. Mini pins are also good running dogs, they have TONS of energy. rhodesian ridgebacks have AMAZING endurance but can be tempermental. A collie would probally be best, given their size and background but you also have a big grooming aspect to them.

I just got an American Staffordshire terrier, she is about 40- 50 lbs, she walks great on a leash and I'm sure she will do fine when we start taking the leash off. So far we have brought her on a 3 mile hike everyday since we've gotten her, she does great, we get tired out before her, and the best part is she's pooped when she gets home so she is very chill indoors.

Any Retriever breed (good for both in and outdoors.) Belgian Shepherds (malinois) German Shepherds (large for medium sizers.) Alaskan or Siberian Huskies love the outdoors.

I disagree to all pointers/retrievers. they take ALOT of spare time and bark alot if outside and arnt medium sized. I suggest an American Pit Bull Terrier, Rott, or American BullDog.

Golden retrievers are wikid athletic medium sized dogs, they can surely do anything you tell them to.

I don't happen to like the idia of a dog remaining out side. But if you must make sure that the coat will protect it from cold. You must keep an eye on the dog for hot spots fleas ticks and Meany other ailments. If the pet is wet for too long that can cause hot spots and infections and some times maggots. this is why I do not like the idia.

My dane how ever on warm days loves to sleep out in the sun all day long.

I don't happen to like the idia of a dog remaining out side. But if you must make sure that the coat will protect it from cold. You must keep an eye on the dog for hot spots fleas ticks and Meany other ailments. If the pet is wet for too long that can cause hot spots and infections and some times maggots. this is why I do not like the idia.

My dane how ever on warm days loves to sleep out in the sun all day long.

Beagles are great outdoor dogs but they are scent hounds so their nose will be glued to the ground the whole time. they're fantastic outdoors unless you want to let it off the leash. then don't get one cos they will disappear. Otherwise labradors are great too or rottweilers.

I would say labrador retrievers, german shepherds, and golden retrievers.

Try this website where you take a test and it shows you what breed you should have. it's:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

any kind of retriever will work. I used to have a golden and she loved the outdoors. She loved every minute of it

Back