when would be a good time to introduce a sippy cup to my daughter? ten points

Richard'sAngel

Apr 11, 2009
guarenteed? she is four and a half months old and babyzone.com told me to introduce a sippy cup. i figure i could put a bit of breastmilk in it and see how she does. what do you think moms and dads? at what age did you introduce a sippy cup?

There's never really a right time, but unless you want to bypass bottles entirely, or offer water (which shouldn't be necessary for a breastfed baby), then you don't need to bother with a cup now. If you use bottles at all, stick to offering milk in bottles and wait until she needs water to offer a cup. If you do wish to feed breastmilk but not in a bottle, a cup is a good idea because you don't want them to favour the bottle and try to wean themselves until you are ready.
Most babies are much older than that before they will be comfortable with a cup. There's no reason to hurry it really.

I don't know if I would put breast milk in a sipper cup just yet sweetie unless of course you are pumping and feeding her breast milk for the bottle and not straight from the breast as it may cause some confusion for her. Otherwise though if you bottle feed breast milk then most definitely, give it a go. However I would probably start with just water first in a sipper cup so she can identify with time herself what liquid/taste comes in what form. She may not drink a lot to start with but it really is an introduction to her that liquids to fill her little tummy do come in other forms other than a bottle or breast. You can certainly start as early as 4 months with some specially designed sipper cups and others suggest 6 months but it depends on what you are comfortable with too. If bub senses or apprehension then she may not go for it for some time. Relax with her when she is happy and give it a go. I also used the Nuby Sipper cups for my youngest as she never took a bottle but my 2nd used the pigeon stage 2 spouts and loved them. Trial and error too it is in most cases to see what bub prefers. Good luck and all the best. Happy Easter sweetie.

I introduced a cup with a teat and handles at 4 months. First the teat was a normal bottle one and then i moved to a teat shaped like a spout. I always put cooled boiled water in his cup. The teats are very good they dont leak if your baby wants to play with it but as they tend to put everything in the mouth my baby beagn to drink an ounce of water a day. Hope that helps.

We started letting my daughter try the Nuby cups with the soft spouts around four months. We just put water in them though b/c she had NO interest in drinking EBM that way.
I would just start with water (they barely drink any initially) and let them practice with the cup. We didn't use it consistently until she was six months old and started to have a cup with her when we introduced solids.

well when they can sit up in a high chair i started at 7 months old having sips with boiled water and a tiny bit of apple juice. by 12 months shes drinking out of a drink bottle by herself.

shes now 17 months and drinks about 600mls of boiled water mixed with a bit of apple juice a day and 2 bottles of 200mls of milk a day.

hope ive helped.

you need to start them at 6mths if you ask health visitors they will say the same its to do with the baby's teeth and the bottle teet.and that cups are much more healthy.
my daughter is on them she's7mths but she's not very keen on them think i have one that flows out to quick so you need to make sure ot the right one

Back