Is it safe to put a new fish into a tank where other fish have died recently?

PatrickH

May 23, 2008
it takes about 6 weeks for the nitrogen cycle to complete its course it's best to wait those 6 weeks before adding fish and do it the fishless cycling way. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php goldfish require the min of 29 gallons by the way they are coldwater fish love 65-74 degree temperatures more active in 74. i would def test the water to see whats going on before you put new fish in there and do some research on the fish you want to put in your tank. Your sponge is where your biological filtration is kept their is benefical bacteria on the sponge in your aquarium and some is in the gravel. i would find out the water quality of the tank ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, hardness, alkanity, ph etc than once you find out that information fix the problem wit the water quality than research the fish or fishes you want to put in your tank. Make sure you read about like their orgins, tank requirements, temperature, etc.

A couple of weeks ago I got a new fish tank, gravel, heater, filter, etc. with 6 fish. I did everything that I thought I was supposed to do. I put dechlorinating drops in the water, kept it at the right temperature, etc. Within the first few days, two of the fish died, and over the past few weeks, one by one they have all died. I would like to start over and perhaps just get a goldfish instead of dealing with multiple smaller fish, but I don't know if it is safe to put a new fish into this tank. As far as I know, my old fish did not have ich (I did not see any signs of it) but perhaps they had something else? I just wanted to know if it would be safe to put a new fish in this tank without changing out the water. I would like to keep this water since it has already had a chance to cycle out and establish bacteria, etc. What should I do?

Since you don't know exactly what killed them it may be wise to thoroughly clean your tank and filter using a small amount of vinegar. Im not sure where you bought your fish, but when dealing with places like a Petsmart, Walmart, etc. you may run into this because you never know what the other fish may have had that resided in the same tank as the fish you bought.
If you're adamant about keeping the water in either buy a test kit or take a sample of the water to a pet store to be tested. You will need to reduce the ammonia levels in your water though if you decide not to drain the tank.

Back