Could you kill a dog?

PoohBear1

Jun 28, 2008
A few years ago my dad killed a dog with a shovel. He was up a ladder fitting an alarm on the house and heard screaming. As he ran to investigate he saw our next door neighbours child (who was around 5 years old at the time) on the floor with a rottweiler holding him by the shoulder with it's teeth, as my dad approached, it wouldn't let go and growled at my dad. My dad said the dog had already drawn blood Jo (not his real name) was already losing consciousness. To cut a long story short, my dad whacked the animal over the head with a shovel to knock it out (but actually killed it). Over the following months he was in the paper as a hero and all that stuff but the owners of the rotty tried to sue (and lost due to the injury's the child sustained). He is fine now by the way, just scared on his shoulder and hand.

Could you do this do you think? I am a huge animal lover, I even love aggressive dogs as half of the time they are mis-understood and need proper training and care. However, I think I could do this if I saw someone in danger.

What do you think? At the time this happened with my dad (I would have been around 9 years old, I was mortified that my dad had killed a dog) - now I understand.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks x

In the same circumstances yes I more than likely would. Adrenalin kicks in and you just go with yourinstinctss. You dad did right. Yes I agree with your philosophy about some dogs being mis understood and bad owners. And yet I had a dog, I got her as an 8 week old pup. She was a staffy cross doberman and a really good house dog. When she got to about 4 she just started to bite people. I never hit her or beat her with anything and she was trained in all the basic commands. Anyway after she bit her 5th person we had her put down. It is not always the owners fault, we did nothing wrong, she was loved and doted on but in the end we had no choice but to have her destroyed.

If there was a good enough reason like that one you have described then possibly. But i am still not so sure.

I supposed to protect a life, I would do what I had to. However, with the experience I have now, I might attempt to get the dog away from the child. Unfortunately, even if you offered to rehab the dog, most cities or counties would not allow you to and would require the dog be euthanized. Most dogs deemed vicious are not even given a chance, especially if they've attacked a child. Why a child would be left unattended with any dog is beyond me! Your dad did what he had to do, and I'm sure many of us would have done the same.

your dad should also start killing Murderers and Paedaphiles,

i'll hail him as a HERO too!

P.s. i'll lend him a gun to do the job properly too

your dad should also start killing Murderers and Paedaphiles,

i'll hail him as a HERO too!

P.s. i'll lend him a gun to do the job properly too

I couldnt kill a dog unless i was in the same situation as your dad! I think in every respect he did the right thing , im assuming he did not intend to kill the dog , yet just reacted to get the dog off the child.

I can see how you were mortified , but im sure if the dog had survived and the child had been killed the story may have been alot different causing alot of problems as your dad may have blamed himself for not reacting good enough.

The child could have died instead of the dog , then who would be sueing? and perhaps inprisoned

I think if something like that occurs , then you should attack the attacker with neccessary force to defuse the situation.

I think if your dad hadnt killed the dog , then it would have been put down anyways.

Wow...I remember this story.
I don't think I could do it ( kill a dog )
Your Dad's a hero though I think.

If not my dog then Absolutely YES!!!!

The child should come first, but if it was my dog i would probbo try and coax him with some treats or something lol

i think i could. i love all animals although i am not squeamish and am fine with blood. i think if it was my dog then it may be a bit different, but i would first probably just pull the dog off if i could. its a difficult question. i guess you would just do the first thing that came into your head!

Well its either the child or the dog! So if you couldnt kill a dog in this situation then you are probably going to kill the child - well not you but you are going to let the dog do it. So yeah i could do it in this situation only!

I am a complete animal lover too and i actully have a Rotty - she is the biggest softy in the world tho honestly.

xx

I don`t like killing anything
not even a fly, but i would
have no problem killing a dog
to save a child, your dad did
the right thing...

most def a human life is definitely worth more than an animals any day,especially a young child's,it is sad to see that an animal died at the result of it and i don't believe in harming animals at all but when a life is in danger its a different story,i blame this one totally on the owners its how they trained and taught their dog at the end of the day, :)

Back