WrestleMania 26 Match Card?

WWEEncyclopedia

Feb 22, 2010
Well, with the Elimination Chamber PPV behind us now, it's a little easier to see what's going down for this year's Wrestlemania.
I may be the only one, but I'm really happy with the decisions made at tonights PPV.

-Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels II: For a second there I was questioning WWE's commitment to this match. It's pretty damn clear it's going to go down, for better or for worse, for a second time. I give Undertaker the win here, for obvious reasons, but I'll give the WWE some credit with Batista's title win last night. They can shake things up sometimes. Undertaker will most LIKELY walk out the winner, but there's always that small amount of doubt... And by the way, nice touch turning HBK all the way tonight.

-Chris Jericho(c) vs. Edge for the World Title: You know, I knew it was going to happen, but I didn't see it after Edge won the Rumble. I would not have give Jericho the title win tonight, and in such an ironic way? HBK and Jericho was the biggest feud of the last few years, and HBK ends up handing Jericho the belt? Very nice WWE, I like your style. This is anybody's ball game, but I feel like Edge is getting his push for being out injured. Jericho had his time last year, Edge's got cut short. However, Jericho could be rewarded for all the good work he's been doing lately in the tag division. This is anybody's guess in my opinion.

-Batista(c) vs. John Cena for the WWE Title: So they're really going through with this, huh? I have to admit, it's more intelligent than I thought it was going to be. Batista has really screwed over Cena, and the match is now believable. What still isn't clear, is why Vince is so active in this. How are they handling the Hart vs. Vince story? My guess is that it will somehow be crafted into the WWE Title match at Mania. Maybe Batista is accompanied by Vince, and Brett Hart comes out at the last minute to make the save, giving Cena the title.

-Shaemus vs. Triple H: This match is bound to happen now that Triple H beat him in the chamber. Neither of them have anything to do for the biggest show of the year, so why not? I still hate him, but Shaemus is getting a lot better in the ring and on the mic. He's still not great, but at least he's out of the main event, right? Let him face the Game, and if he wins against Triple H, you know he's going places. Because honestly, we know Triple H doesn't put people over easily, and that's especially true of WrestleMania.

-Miz/Big Show vs. MVP/Mark Henry for the Tag Team Titles: Honestly, I would rather see MVP and Miz have a real match at Mania. They've been great together in the last month or so,but the tag titles have been pushed on us too much this year for them not to showcase the straps at Mania. And this match just makes sense. It's not perfect, and it's not even that great, but it makes sense. I'm looking for one of the big men to turn on the small guys.

-Drew McIntyre vs. ? for the IC Title: Drew has been on fire lately, 100% due to Vince McMahon being high on him. Don't get me wrong, he's great, but he's being force-fed to us (but at least not to the point of Shaemus). Drew is still undefeated, and he's harolded as being unbeatable and great, so why not give him a real challenge. I know people will scream at this, but why not have Captain Charisma step into the ring with him? Christian can show up on Smackdown this next week and tell Drew that's he's one of the best IC champions of all time, and Drew has a lot to prove if he's going to make all these claims about himself. Go one step further, add Rey Mysterio to the mix. He's looking for a match, throw him in there. Add John Morrison to the mix and suddently you have a Cruiserweight throwdown with 4 of the best guys in the business today.

Other thoughts:
-I really don't know how they'll resolve Vince/Brett with him being "injured." I'm really dissapointed with the whole thing, but mostly with fans lack of enthusiasm for the greatest in-ring wrestler of all time...
-I realize the WWE doesn't care about their attitude era fans anymore, but if you really want to make some young adults happy, throw Christian into the World title mix. Have Edge announce that he's facing Chris Jericho at Mania, and have Christian come down to just...I don't know. He doesn't even need an excuse. Just say, "Hello boys...It's been awhile. I want in." I mean, Christian has been at the core of Jericho and Edge in the past. Edge/Jericho, Edge/Christian, Christian/Jericho....it's all been done. Now have them tear each other apart on the biggest stage of them all... Wrestlemania!
-The Diva's division is just terrible...they have SOME good talent (James, Pheonix, Gail Kim....ish) but...in general that's the bathroom break of the PPV.
-I still feel that it's missing something. Without the MITB, what are they going to do? No more titles to fill, and so many Smackdown guys without matches! Kane, Mysterio, Morrison, Christian (eventually) need a match.

Back