Wiring a new lock/unlock switch to a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

yourlastfate

Dec 8, 2010
I want to add 2 unlock switches to my Jeep, one Lock/Unlock in the tailgate area and an Unlock only switch hidden outside the truck should I get locked out...

I do produce delivery and I use my truck for it, and being that I have a remote start and keep it running while im delivering, I like to keep it locked, but sometimes my partner has my keys and is out of earshot and I need to get upfront or my partner wants the front unlocked to get in and I don't feel like trying to unlock it from the remote, so I want to wire a new switch in the trunk area (specifically on the inset handle on the bottom of the tailgate so it cant be pressed by anything when the tailgate is closed)

So, that being said, how do I go about doing this? I found a wiring diagram (unfortunately needs to be downloaded but its a zip containing a large pdf which is the manuel) at http://www.mediafire.com/?dey1jnvrvjb
Pages 333-343 (8W-61-1 through 8W-61-11) show the wiring for the lock/unlock controls in the truck...

From this I got that there's a positive Tan and Light Blue 12 Gauge wire going to the driver side module, a Pink and Black 18 Gauge wire going from the module to the unlock motor, and an Orange and Black 18 Gauge wire going from the module to the lock motor.
On the Passenger side, the Positive is Tan and Black, the Unlock is Pink and Violet, and the lock is Orange and Violet.
The Passanger side lock/unlock wires run to the lock/unlock motors in the back 2 doors and the tailgate...

My plan of attack is to run a power wire spliced from the Passenger side door to the trunk and tie into the existing Pink/Violet and Orange/Violet lines in the trunk... Will this work? If not, what will?

I volunteer for the local First Aid Squad and we have an unlock button hidden on outside of the Ambulance so if we accidentally get locked out we can get back in...

I want to incorporate this into my vehicle...

Going back to the lock wiring (we'll use the passenger side for less confusion though ill probably end up going from tdriver sideide), the Tan/Black positive power wire is a 12 Gauge and the Pink/Violet wire is 18 Gauge... Can I simply bypass the door module and hook the Tan/Black to one side of a momentary switch and the Pink/Violet to the other and bypass the module all together (for the sake of the button, the lines will continue where they should) or willencounterter problems being that they are different Gauges and most likely different amps?

Back