why is my truck stalling when started?

Hello

May 13, 2008
ok, i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 slt crew cab with the 5.9l magnum, and it has just a little over 214,000kms on it, and jsut recently it has started to give me troubles. about a week ago, when i went to go start it (after only sitting for about 10 minutes) it started for about 2 seconds, then stalled. i was caught off guard because it has never done anything like that before. so i start it again, and it stalled again. 3rd time i gave it a lil gas when starting it, and it started and stayed running on my 3rd try. (that was the first time it has happened)

it has happened on two more occasions, 2 days ago and then again today. the same story, it will start, then stall. usually after the 3rd or 4th time it will start, and usually the 3rd attempt it sits there whining and whining cause it dose not want to spark up. eventually after about 30 seconds of trying to start it, it starts. earlier today when it happened, i basically floor it and when it started, it got to about 4000rpm then completely stalled! there could only be one other thing i could see possibly causing this sort of problem. maybe i have sludge in the gas tank and it is somehow causing it to stall when started sometimes?

i know that because this truck has considerately a lot of usage on it, that things are going to go wrong. but i am thinking it would be my spark plugs. the motor still runs tip top shape, just today bought a brand new cold air filter and i custom fit it to the truck, and all the fluids are topped up. anyways, i am not sure how old the plugs are, but i got new ones a while ago and i actually need help changing the back ones because i am not good with vehicle maintenance to be honest, and cannot reach. i have actually had the vehicle stall on me ONCE when i was driving, but i was a little hard on it. came out of a parking lot, wanted to beat the traffic, dropped it into 1st, (its an automatic transmission, i just wanted a faster take off) and floored it, then in the switch betweed 1st and D, it stalled. that happened about 3 weeks ago. not to mention i am also having electrical problems... but anyways, any ideas? i have new plugs by the way, just find it difficult to get the back ones.

by the way, this is my daily driver. started at least 4 times a day, and i have found it is extremely reliable. the only thing i have HAD to replace is the power steering for what ever reason... twice! literally exactly a month later of the first replacement. and not to mention, being a teenager, and having a truck, i sometimes am a little hard on my vehicle.. that i will admit.

Back