Why is my Nissan Automatic transmission not shifting into 3rd gear?

Matt

May 12, 2008
1995 Nissan Quest 3.0L/ Automatic RE4F04A
The battery died and left my girlfriend’s mom stranded. She left the van in the parking lot and bought a new car. We got the van providing we went and pick it up. I am a mechanical guy who has had plenty of time under the hood. I check the electrical system and diagnosed the problem. It was simply a bad battery.
So my girlfriend drives the car home and parks it. The next morning I prepare to tune up the van and I noticed that a rubber fuel line attached to the front fuel injector rail was dripping gas. The only way to get to the line was to remove the throttle body. So I did and put it all back together. Now the van runs like a top, but on the test drive I noticed that it would not shift into 3rd gear. First thing I thought of is either a vacuum line or the TPS but I checked those and all is well there. There is no check engine light on either. Now I am trying to diagnose the shifting problem. Here is what it does

Put the car in D and it shifts perfectly from 1st to 2nd but doesn’t leave 2nd at higher speed.
It doesn’t rev up like the clutches are bad.
The transmission fluid smells good and looks good.
With the shifter in drive and riding in 2nd gear after you punch it to 40 or so and let off the gas the car will coast like normal (The transmission isn’t dragging.)
It just won’t upshift into 3rd.
It also downshifts fine. If you are going slow and punch the gas it does drop right back down into first like it is supposed to (passing gear). Reverse works fine too.

I know that the shifting in this van is governed by some electrical components: shifting solenoids, TCU, speed sensors, EPC. It doesn’t have a detent cable (TV cable) either so I imagine that is electronically controlled as well.

I Need help! What do you think it is?

Back