why does my car do this?

Dec 23, 2008
i seem to have trouble movin it to neutral, reverse or drive before it dies on me. its a 1962 ford galaxie. i pump the gas few times before i start, i pump it more when i turn the key. its either after i stop pumpin the gas or i move it from park and it sputters out. my dad has had more luck. he is able drive it, the only thing is you cant keep it in drive too long or it completely stops, in the middle of traffic. so he puts it in neutral. the guy we bought it from said i did need a tune up. will the tune up solve all the issues? not its not a bucket case, the previous owner stripped it down to the metal, put new paint, new brakes, new leather, new headliner, new velor, rebuild the motor and tranny and it has power steering. its a beautiful car but im not quite used to a car stallin. the other car i have is a 1965 mustang and as long as you charge the battery, it runs and drives. im not a rookie.....

Sounds like the idle is set too low. I had a similar problem with my old 64 Galaxie.

Any mechanic should be able to fix it or look it up online and do it yourself. Adjusting the idle is pretty simple.

Back