Why buy a Jeep, Audi, Mitsu or other?

garretteexe0

Aug 17, 2008
I have just recently applied for a loan through my company and have been used car shopping. I am 21 years old and have 5000 to spend on a car and I've been a little heart set on a Jeep. I have found a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic I6 4x4 with power everything for about 3400 and only 85k miles, this sounds to good to be true and I know when that happens it probably is. I have had 2nd thoughts about it too after asking people their advise and alot of people say that Jeeps dont get the greatest gas mileage and they are generally more expensive to insure. Now I am a college kid so im full time student part time worker and I would like the least expensive thing possiable.

I've searched on Autotrader and have turned up a few things that look nice to me a few of which are a 1998 Audi A4 with 120k miles for about 4k, a 92 BMW 3xxi with 90k miles on it for closer to 5k, and the Jeep.

After talking with my girlfriend, her parents, and her family they told me that the foregin cars are more expensive to repair and why do I want a luxury car now when im 21? Why not wait till you graduate and you can afford one? Also, all of these cars have 6 cylinder engines and they suggest getting something that gets better gas mileage. Taking that into consideration I also found a 2001 mitsu lancer with about 103k for a little over 4. Really to me its between the Audi or the Jeep.

What does all this mean? Well I would your opinions on the cars that I have found and some pros and cons of owning each. Do Jeeps really get that bad of fuel economey? Do they cost more to insure? Are forgine cars more expensive to fix? Are Cherokee's reliable? Are Audi A4's?

Also I am open to suggestions on which car(s) you suggest. I want something that looks good and/or is fun to drive. Thank you!

Back