What is wrong with my car? 2003 chrysler sebring LX?

doublewhammy

Sep 8, 2008
ok so my car has 105,000 miles on it, but has been running very good until lately, I get an oil change EVERY 3000 miles. about 4 months ago the car/engine started jumping/shaking when the car was accelerating and got between 50-55 and sometimes when it was in idle. My check engine light has been on for those for months, but the reader at autozone said it was something wrong with the fuel line AKA a loose gas cap, but my cap was never loose and the light never went off. SO I kep driving it, got the tie rods and sway bars replaced last month because they were getting shaky, then got an oil change. 100 miles after the oil change my car made this gurgling sound like rocks shaking in a jar and boiling water, and my air conditioner stopped working. I added coolant to my car, but the noise didn't stop. I continued to drive but checked the oil and coolant often. Well, a new higher pitched scraping type sound started, and it was shaking a lil more in idle. The other day I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. It would almost start, but the engine just wouldnt kick on. I hit the bottom of my trunk at the suggestion of a friend, and it finally started ( something with the fuel pump maybe?). SO i started driving home, but then a mile later my battery light went on, and my lights faded, and windshield wipers wouldn't work, and the RPM's kept going up and the car didn't seem to switch gears... ex. 5,000 RPM at 55mph. Then, 35 min later, all the dials stopped working and the car shut down. I found one of the belts had snapped( apparently the belt that charges the battery?) so I just jumped started my car for 30 mins and my car made it the 25 min home but with the battery light on and lights dimming. I had my dad changed the belt, and the car is starting okay but I am afraid it wont work one day and hitting the trunk wont work and I will be stranded. The same gurgling/rattling sound is still there and the A/C still wont work. What is wrong with my car? do I need to fix it right away? Is there anywhere I can go to get it looked at and "diagnosed" for free or Cheep? is it worth fixing? THANKS EVERYONE!

Back