What brand of spark plugs should I use on my GMC Sonoma?

Tyler

May 13, 2008
I have heard not to use Bosch. I heard that ACdelco platinum are the best for my truck. I was wondering about Pulstar spark plugs they come with a lifetime warranty. The Pulstar plugs are about $5-$6 more per plug than the ACdelco.

My truck is a 1998 GMC Sonoma with the 4.3 liter v6.

Actually...some of the delco non copper plugs (iridium and platinum) are actually supplied by NGK. So use delcos or the ngk equivalent.

Spark Plug replacement.

Use only the factory specified spark plugs, accept no substitutes!

I believe that the factory plugs for your engine are platinum plugs.

Always use the factory specified plug in every automotive engine. I can not count the number of times I have traced a drive ability or emission failure to non factory spark plugs. Despite the fact that they are cross referenced to match the application, spark plugs manufactured by any other company are not identical to the factory plugs which are designed from scratch to provide optimum performance for the specific engine involved.

You will find the job easier if it is done when the engine is cool. Clean any dirt from around the spark plugs after you remove the plug wires – you do not want dirt and debris falling into the cylinder!

You will need a Flex Joint plug socket of the correct size for your plugs, a ratchet and various length extensions, 3”, 6” and 8” are frequently required and I love my 36” extension for most plug jobs, you may also need a short wide step up bench about 6-8 inches tall unless you are blessed with particularly long arms and legs. Apply Anti-Seize compound to the threads of the new plugs and verify the gap is correct, use a short (2-4” long) piece of rubber vacuum line to start the plugs - make sure they turn in 2 to 3 full turns using the rubber line to make certain they are not cross threaded before turning them the rest of the way in and tightening them using the Flex socket and ratchet. If protecting the painted fender surface is important, invest in a padded foam fender cover because you are going to be leaning on that fender quite a bit.

Back