vw golf (1.4, year 1999) coolant temp/level warning light comes on.?

HighlanderNeil

Oct 6, 2010
I have a vw golf, 1.4 petrol, year 1999.

I have the coolant temperature/level warning light showing as soon as i start the car, i warms up to 90degree and will stay there withouot me driving anywhere.

The coolant level is just below min when the car is cold (this is normal) but as it heats up, the level comes up enough to fall into the small resevoir within the resevoir that contains a sensor?

The cars internal heating system is on, but no hot air is coming through.

After driving the car, the temperature rises up to 130 quite quickly but the car does not struggle, there is no steam, smoke and it does not seem overly hot to touch, if it wasnt for the warning lamp and gauge, you would never think there was anything wrong.

On stopping, the engine temperature will go back to 90. The fan does not kick in, at all.

I am currently in the car with it running, temp is 90, coolant resevoir cap is off and after 25 minutes there is still no heat coming through the fans inside the car. The coolant is boiling off though. The fan has not kicked in. I have just switched off the car.

Please help, I have spoken to various individuals and apparently there is a number of things this could be.

Thanks in anticipation,

Neil

Back