Tony Scott R.I.P.

SimplyDivine

Mar 23, 2008
Tony Scott, director of Top Gun, True Romance, Enemy of the State, Man on Fire, Domino and Deja Vu to name a few and brother of Ridley Scott, jumped off a bridge last night to his death.

It's not clear at the moment exactly what happened but the police are treating it as a suicide. It comes as a shock as he's not a very public director, is very successful and hasn't been known to have any problems in the public eye.

He will be remembered through his contributions in film.

R.I.P. Tony Scott

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19314967

He was working on Top Gun 2 with Tom Cruise, he produced Prometheus for his brother Ridley Scott, looks like he had a good thing going, seriously I have to wonder what happened, was it a suicide?

Sad, sad news. At this juncture it's too early to speculate on why he killed himself but the authorities seem in no doubt it was a suicide. Truth is, a lot of times family members of suicides don't know what was going through their loved one's head. How the hell are we the public supposed to know? Particularly with individuals like Tony who didn't court publicity.

According to the Guardian, he left a suicide note in his office. Nothing seems to have been made public about the content of the note yet.

That's another thing, I've been reading/hearing mixed things, one report said his car, another said his office. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/top-gun-director-tony-scott-dies-after-jumping-off-bridge/article4489477/?cmpid=rss1 This one says car. But in all respect to the family, if he left a note that shouldn't be released to the public.

On the six o'clock news they said that he'd left one note in his car and another one in his office. but they didn't say whether the two notes were identical, or what they said at all.

I was driving to work this morning when this news popped on the radio. As soon as they said "Sad news from the states, Tony Scott has...", my mind filled in the blanks but suicide never crossed my mind and I was honestly shocked as the news piece continued.

I'm a fan of some (not all) of his films and I was, secretly, curious about a "Top Gun" sequel. He seemed to be a guy on the top of the world and, at work, we speculated why someone who came from near my neck of the woods and forged a huge career in Hollywood would do this...

However, as I type, the news is on and it appears that word is filtering through whatever channels, that he had inoperable brain cancer...

RIP.

Yeah, word on the 'net is that he had terminal cancer

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDKiBKCwX7h

That's very sad.

A great talent to be sure. I particularly enjoyed Man on Fire and Enemy of the State.

However, for me there's something special about True Romance with a script by QT and incredible performances from an all star cast including Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Val Kilmer, James Gandolfini, and Dennis Hopper not to mention Brad Pitt's compelling role as Floyd.

That's one of my fav QT movies, I understand it was scott directing, but the story is so QT same as Natural Born killers.

I wasn't a huge fan of Tony Scott, but I do appreciate what he did for the action industry and what he did in Top Gun was revolutionary, he was always seen as Michael Bays nemesis. What a way to go though.

Back