Slow Internet, help!?

harmony

Jun 18, 2008
My housemates and I have a wireless internet connection, it was set up in the house before I moved in so I didn't have any influence into how it was set up. Normally the internet speed is fine but over the last few days has become insanely slow (~30kB/s) or at least insanely slow on my computer. My housemate says she doesn't have any problems and runs antivirus software regularly (my first thought was that someone had a virus that was eating the bandwidth). I have tried resetting the router and turning my wireless adapter on and off and tried windows wireless diagnostic tool which claims no problem. I have run lots of antivirus and malware checks on my computer too.

Do you think there is a chance we have been hacked and someone is using our internet? I had a quick look at the wireless network properties I have access to and under security type it says "No authentication (Open)" and the encryption type is "WEP" so there is a password but I gather WEP is not the best security system anyway.

If it hasn't been hacked, what else can I do to find out why my internet connection is so slow?

Due to any one of the following reasons your internet gets slow down ;

1. Local network is overloaded
2. Malware or scareware on end users computers
3. Bad connection

If you want to speed up your internet connection , use the following tips :
1. Clear cookies from your browser
2. Close unwanted background tasks when you are working with the internet .
3. Scan your internet by using standard Anti-virus software
4. Reset your modem and reconnect with the internet.
5. Test your internet speed often by using Scanmyspeed.com

Back