Slightly raised ALT (SGPT) levels in liver: Cause for concern?

Evan

May 11, 2008
I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow and will be retested, but I'm quite nervous as I've read about some of the causes of those high level enzymes. All of my other enzymes and other things are in normal range according to the Mayo Clinic website. I'm worried about Hepatitis C because I understand it could have been passed by blood transfusion before 1992, and I got one in 1987. Has anyone had experience with Hepatitis C and know if this is a cause for alarm?
My AST was 30. The Mayo Clinic says below 48 is normal for men. I was a baby when I had the transfusion. And I ruled out Hepatitis A and B because I have the vaccine. And I don't have diabetes which I know can also cause things like that.

First you said "Slightly raised ALT", then you said "those high level enzymes." It would help if I knew what your AST is.

Why did you choose to focus on hepatitis C? And from 1987? Interesting. ALT is alanine aminotransferase. It's an enzyme found primarily in liver cells so this test is often used to diagnose hepatocellualr (liver cell) destruction. When liver cells are destroyed the enzyme is released into the blood. The normal range for adults is 10-35 U/L and it may be slightly higher in males. The lab that ran your test may use a somewhat different range from my hospital lab. A slight increase can be due to cirrhosis but also to several other non-liver related causes. And it can be elevated by several drugs, including some antibiotics. If your elevation is slight, you shouldn't worry yourself.

I know you're concerned about HCV and you may already know that often there are no symptoms but you can bring up your concerns tomorrow and ask if you should be tested for HCV. There are antibody tests and viral RNA tests.

Back