Seniors, do you now live alone? If so, have your eating habits changed...

Ritaah

Aug 31, 2008
...since you started cooking for one? I was a slave in the kitchen at one time, having cooked meals on the table at specific times to suit others whether I wanted to eat then or those particular foods or not. I'm now alone for the first time in 44 years and friends think I'm neglecting myself because I don't always have a cooked dinner at some point in every 24 hours.

I eat well and I eat just what I feel like at the time but I am not going hungry and I am not eating things which are not good for me. I include nutritious foods in my diet but sometimes I'm happy with a sandwich or just something on toast e.g. scrambled egg. I cook on more days that I don't cook and I think it is lovely to have the choice and feel that, at last, I can please myself.

In the two months that I have been living alone I have opened only 3 cans (one beans, one beans with sausages and one tomato soup) and I've used one packet of 4 cup-a-soups. All other meals have been prepared by me properly but not necessary cooked dinners (potatoes, meat and vegetables etc). I eat bananas, apples and pears (not oranges but I like orange juice and pineapple juice) and I like to eat tomatoes as a fruit. I think that some people put too much emphasis on having a cooked hot meal every day.

Did any of you find that your choice of meals changed when you no longer had to take into account the wants and expectations of other people or do you still follow the habits of a lifetime?

Back