Recovering My Deceased Fathers Suv?

salter_83

Mar 1, 2013
My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Alabama

My father past away over a year ago and I want to get his SUV. He was married and did not leave a will. I have talked to the wife and she wants me to have the SUV. I remember seeing the title and it only had his name on it. I also spoke with the DMV and they told me what information I would need to get a title transfer from wife to me including a affidavit form I would need to get the wife to sign. A death certificate, Title and bill of sale. Here's my issue. The SUV is parked on my grandmother and aunts land and my aunt has the title and keys. After my father past my aunt gave my grandmother some cash for the car she then tried to go get the tag for it but she couldn't. So it has been parked and not moved in over 6 months. I would like to get it towed away from there. Can I do this? I'm also afraid if I let them know I'm coming to get it they may sabotage it and or destroy the title because she will feel owed since she gave some money away for it
Before my father past he went to stay at my grandmothers and its been there ever since. I was told by multiple sources that by Alabama law since he died without a will that ownership would move to the wife

Without the title signed over you can't tow the vehicle because it doesn't belong to you. First and foremost you have to establish who owns the vehicle. If the vehicle was left to the wife how did your aunt or grandmother end up with the title? If the wife is the rightful owner she will have to assert her right of ownership and demand the title and the keys and then she can have the vehicle towed where ever she likes and transfer the title to you.

Back