Problem with Bittorrent?

DJ

Mar 15, 2008
My Bittorrent hasn't been working like it used to. I used to be able to download 1G+ files pretty quickly, but now files rarely get downloaded at all. The problem isn't with seeders, as I usually choose torrents with good seeder to leecher ratio. I read something about my modem blocking ports, but I'm not sure if that's the problem (it very well may be, I don't know much at all about port forwarding).

Anyone have an idea? And what I can do about it, perhaps?
Thanks in advance.
So, I've narrowed down the problem to unopen ports. I ran port tests to see if a few ports were open and they were not. When I tried to forward them using the instructions on portforward.com, however, I couldn't. I've got a Westell 6100 modem and one of the steps on their guide (vhttp://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/BitTorrent.htm) tells me to enter 192.168.1.1. into my address bar in order to go to a site to fix my problem, but the IP Address leads me to a different site than the one they said it would, so I cannot follow the rest of the instructions. Try it out for yourself if you don't mind. Any ideas?

Back