My Dad is forcing me to practice karate but I hate it. What do I do?

RFan

Nov 12, 2010
Okay so my Dad is forcing me to practice karate. I hate it. I don't enjoy it at all. Right now my class is with all kids. I have the option to change it to a class with old men. I am 15 years olds. I love tennis. I have been playing 4 times a week lately. I have been doing karate since I was little. I am only a blue belt mostly because I have no real desire to go for grading. He says just get your black belt which is defiantly going to very hard to do and something I have no desire to get. My Dad (with out asking me) signed me up for the whole year. I do not want to go. I hate going. I find the classes useless. My dad has said that I HAVE to go because I need to have self defense. I am not learning anything new really. Mostly because I surrounded by little kids which not only forces the instructor to do some easier stuff but makes me feel like this thing is a joke. When I play tennis I concentrate and try to get better. In karate I simply do not have anywhere close to the same drive. I am not a kid who goes to parties and tries to start fights. In my life what I have learned from karate is that fighting should be avoided. That is why I have never got into a fight.

He also says I need to go for "core training". God I hate when he says that. Basically he is saying I need to do other things to strengthen my body besides tennis. I said that I would plan my own workout routine and he said okay but only on top of doing karate... AHH!

So this fight has been dragging on for a while and it something that is really ruining our relationship and it is really pissing me off. I have gotten mad so many times just writing this. Can someone please give me some advice?

Back