Mostly MLB Notes: Max Scherzer and What Could Have Been

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
a22f7cde81835c4a4f8e0a1133c55d61
Max Scherzer highlights this week’s look around the league (Getty Images) If I had a do-over for 2017 drafts: I’d treat Max Scherzer as a top-five player, as he looks back to his normal self. He was clearly worthy of a first round pick if fully healthy, and the finger sure looks right after he dominated his first start in which he posted a 13.3 SwStr% and showed his usual velocity. Scherzer will no doubt be the common denominator of many winning fantasy teams this year…I’d also treat Wade Davis as a top-five closer, Raisel Iglesias as a top-15 closer, Jake Lamb as a top-10 third baseman, Lance McCullers as a top-20 starter and Yasiel Puig as a top-25 outfielder if I had to do it over again…Travis Shaw, Gerardo Parra, Manuel Margot, Nomar Mazara and Nick Castellanos would be on all my teams…I’d have more shares of Cesar Hernandez…I would’ve added Joe Musgrove and Andrew Toles and avoided many, many closer situations…Hindsight is fun, especially this early…But ultimately, I wish I wasn’t such a coward about Matt Harvey, whom I originally had ranked high yet lowered based on spring training velocity reports.
[Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Baseball: It’s not too late to get in the game]
I was surprised to see Daniel Cormier as the (slight) underdog to Anthony Johnson, but it made more sense after he miraculously lost 1.2 pounds in two minutes during the weigh in.*Still, he did work Saturday night, when Johnson implemented the contrarian strategy of attacking all of DC’s strengths….Meanwhile, Vasyl Lomachenko stopped his fight in easy fashion, solidifying himself as arguably the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.
Headlines of the Week: Naked Woman With Webbed Toes Found Wandering Street Outside Fresno, Claims She’s A MermaidPolice Officer Sues Taco Bell Over Allegedly Spicy QuesadillaChina Introduces Facial Recognition Technology To Dispense Toilet PaperMan Kicked Out Of All-You-Can Eat Buffet After Eating More Than 50 lbs Of Food, Sues For $2 MillionMan Has To Pay More Than $30K For Negative Yelp Review.
Quick Hits: Gary Sanchez was off to a .150/.190/.300 start after many screamed regression and now he’s on the DL with a biceps strain. I’d try to buy low right now, as catcher remains a wasteland, and Sanchez is in such a good situation hitting in the middle of a lineup in a park that’s increased home runs for right-handed batters by 25 percent over the past three years, which is tied for the most over that span. Now is the time to at least check in on his frustrated owner…The Phillies led the Nationals 12-0 in the first inning Friday night, and the first two outs recorded by Washington were sac flies. That’s pretty crazy…The Mariners entered Sunday’s game up 9-3 in the ninth and lost…Wilmer Flores hit .340/.383/.710 against left-handers last season, knocking 11 homers over just 100 at bats. He’s up to the same tricks so far this season, so he’s a sneaky start in DFS when facing southpaws…Kendall Graveman has looked really good after two starts, posting a 2.08 ERA with a 0.85 WHIP, and his latest outing came in Texas. He has a 12:3 K:BB ratio over 13.0 innings. There seems to be a real reason to buy into him*and yet he’s still available in more than half of Yahoo leagues.
Police Blotter: Hamilton Police Ask Public To ‘Romaine Calm’ After $45K Lettuce HeistMan Who Claims To Be From The Future Arrested For Stealing Meat From Arby’sMan Tries To Rob Bank, Leaves Without Money When Teller Walks AwayMan In Drunk Lives Matter Shirt Charged With Drunken DrivingMan Accidentally Shoots Himself At NRA Headquarters.
Songs of the Week: Pearl Jam – Black*and Yellow Ledbetter*
Longread of the Week: The Story Of Pearl Jam, From A Seattle Basement To The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Quick Hits Part Deux: Matt Joyce is another cheap DFS option, as he sported an .884 OPS (with 12 homers over 197 at bats) against righties last year, and he’s batting second versus LHB so far in 2017. Joyce is a cheap option right now before the prices catch up…I fully admit I was late to move Ivan Nova up my starting pitching board in March. The situation is great (park, pitching coach, framing catcher), and he posted a silly 52:3 K:BB ratio after joining Pittsburgh last season. I’d treat him as a top-25 starting pitcher if I were drafting right now…I was skeptical of Jean Segura, coming off by far his career year and leaving one of the best hitter’s parks to join one of the toughest (and changing leagues), so he’s on none of my fantasy teams. But so far so good, as he’s batting .333 with a homer and a couple of steals…The Astros lead MLB with a 1.70 starting pitching ERA, but that comes with a 24:13 K:BB ratio. It’s a dangerous time to put much stock into anything this time of year…The second-worst starting pitching ERA belongs to the Indians, who sport a 6.83 mark with a 35:9 K:BB ratio…It’s nice to see Michael Brantley playing, but some production to follow would be even better…Pablo Sandoval had a big three run homer this week, but he still sits at .150/.190/.350.
Follow Dalton Del Don on Twitter.

Back