Is it possible to hook a DVD player up to a TV that has Dish without the cable box?

Amber

May 13, 2008
My roommates decided to get Dish cable and I didn't really want it. I don't watch that much TV. But they decided to hook it up in my room anyways. When I'm using my boyfriend's playstation I can watch movies but my dvd player won't contact for some reason. I thought about taking the cable out so I can use my DVD player but they would unhook my roommate's cable. I don't have the cable box in my room so I don't see why it would matter. I didn't want the cable anyways. So now I guess I'm stuck either watching whatever happens to be on cable or watching nothing at all. Is there anyway to bypass this without unhooking the cable? Please help.

I may be confused, if so please edit your question to set me straight.

If you don't have a Dish receiver in your room, that means your TV is a "TV2", connected to Dish by a coaxial cable. Disconnecting that cable will have no affect whatsoever on any other TV in the home that is connected to Dish. But- connecting the Dish coaxial cable should not have affected your DVD player, so disconnecting it won't make the DVD player usable. Make sure the TV is set to the proper input for the DVD player.

I'm assuming the Playstation isn't always there, otherwise you could use it to watch DVDs.

Back