Ideas for publicizing Eskrima club on campus

kaykayt]

Apr 4, 2008
Hello dudes and dudettes, I'm seeking some help for my Doce Pares Eskrima club.

Do you think it would be disrespectful to the art etc. to market to advertise it to the campus with catchy slogans?

I don't so I've started thinking about them. Could you help me come up with some good ones?

What ideas I have so far:

1) The normal poster with our performance from last year saying: "You wanna be cool like these guys? Come spar with us Tuesdays at midnight etc .. plus - it's free!"

2) Since the campus is very political : "Come join eskrima - and "stick" it to the man!" - I particularly like that one.

3) And under a picture of someone getting a thrust in the grill "Sticks are friends, not food".

Just to get it out there, so we can get more members, the more members we have, the more funding we get from the school.
Do you think this kind of advertising is overboard?

Drop ideas below ....

The rule for promoting successfully is to "cut to the chase" .... get your message out but make sure that your message is understood.

Hence, the majority of 'average' folks haven't a clue as to what "Eskrima" is ... you should capture the essence of the art ... advertize the 'merits' of the style, it's practicality and how interchangeable it is as a martial art.

Good Luck ... I'll be on the lookout for your posters!

IMHO, if you want to get people interested do a demo (maybe you can do it in the campus center or somesuch). As has been pointed out, most people don't know what Eskrima is, but if they see you stick fighting, they might go "Whoa, that's really cool! I want to do that, too."

I personally don't see anything wrong with that style of advertising. I think your ideas are very good. You have to do what you have to do to get people in class.

Point out that most street attacks aren't going to be unarmed.

Point out that many common items lying around can be used like a stick.

Point out it's a 'smart persons style' because you train to take a superior position (armed).

Col

put a famous person and say they did escrima
like Dan Inansoto
or Bruce lee.. he alsmost did it, or i think he learned it but didnt put it in his movies.. im not sure

or just do those things and put testimmonials

Learn to kill with a stick or sometimg like that

"its 11:00..do you know where your escrima is?"

It's arguably a bit sexist, but how about this:

"We've got the sticks if you've got the stones."

Stuart

Back