I asked why people from the UK seem so snobbish against Americans and I got this

asker

Jun 7, 2008
long rant, is this typical? I've never insulted people from the UK. My ancestors are from the UK, so I don't consider them "the enemy", nor do I dislike them. But it's hard to love England with people like the answer below. I don't support corporate wars, and I like how English people speak. Apparently this dame really can't stand anything about Americans. Take the time to read her rant and let me know if you agree or disagree with it, and why? I've also never insulted their teeth, and I believe there are fat people in England also. One more point, an English named company have destroyed our gulf with a huge oil spill. And another point, England is also over in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting, so I'm confused why the American people are exclusively blamed for these wars. Like I said, I am not against the UK, but I grow less fascinated with the people of the UK when I constantly read such anti-American rants like this woman.

"Okay long answer coming :')
I'm female and from Northern England in a place called Yorkshire.
I also have family over in California, and have met loadssss of Americans on holiday / whatever. They were from all different states too, Mississipi, Utah, Kansas, Florida, South Carolina, Washington, Pensylvania, etc.
America as a whole nation has a stereotype to be loud, fat, self-obsessed, argumentative, uncultured, stupid and ignorant.
Most people also find your accents reallllly annoying, no matter where you're from. Southern accents are particuarly irritating. I think it's the monotonous draaaawl, you guys drag each word out really long, and most of your sentance is said on the same 'note' give or take the last or first syllable. In other parts of the world, particuarly in britain, our voices rise and fall with almost every word - each word is rarely said on the same 'note'.
Returning back to the stereotypes of America as a whole, these are, of course, stereotypes. In britain, we don't all have bad teeth. We don't have afternoon tea every day, a lot of people don't even like tea. A lot do - it's a stereotype.
If you go to Britain and ask 100 people if they've had a cuppa tea that day, around 70 would probably say they had.
It's the same for the USA. Put a group of around 100 in a room and give them a discussion topic of the middle east, around 70 would be arguing and shouting in support of the invasion of Iran and Iraq and revenge for the two towers.
Shame none of them can point it out on a map. Did you know, when asked to pinpoint the USA on a world map, 70% of American high school students could not find it? Because when it's surrounded by Canada and South America, it's not as obvious. Most of them pointed to Russia. thinking it was the biggest and so must be them. THEN when asked to pinpoint the UK, one of their closest allies, they pointed to somewhere in the middle east - meditteranean at best.
Did you know only 10% of US citizens hold a valid passport? The world does not exist beyond their country to them.
You can probably gather by now that i'm slightly biased against the USA. Disagree with me if you like, but i'm not normally a judgemental or prejudiced person. I'm not racist - i've been in relationships with many different races and even religions, but when it comes to Americans, yes I stereotype.
This is because of so many bad experiences when encountering Americans. Of course I am aware that every individual is different. There are many people that do not conform to these (the majority of whom voted Obama in i presume :D) Many Americans are educated, polite, considerate of others and do not push their views, opinions and culture on anybody else. Even if these people accounted for just 1% of Americans (and it accounts for much more, I know) it would still add up to millions. That's why I have hope that America will grow up out of it's selfish teenage rebellion stage.
The problem is, when meeting an American on holiday, the majority will refuse to go local. For example, I recentley went on holiday to a predominantly muslim area, where people were swimming in a waterfall. Most people were well covered up, swimming in their clothes in respect for the locals who were doing the same. Then a group of around 15 or 20 American tourists came round the corner, pulled off all their clothes other than skimpy bikinis and jumped right in despite obvious disapproving looks and many mothers removing their children from the water. They were obvlivious for this, and around HALF were at least 20 stone (I don't know that weight in kilos, sorry - we have a different measuring system) Basically though, they were FAT.
Then, in a different area, I was travelling in a minibus with a group of around 7 American University students taking a gap year to travel. They were so god damn LOUD! They spent the whole time talking about how "BLESSED" (We find it realllllll
To all English and UK in general who do like Americans, thank you. I like British culture, it's a part of my culture of course.
I like tattoos and I have a Union Jack tattoo on my forearm, and shamrocks on each wrist because of my heritage. So I'm not against the UK or Ireland at all.
And my best friend who died wass English. And I have a female pen pal online who is English and she is very sweet. So I know not all English are snobbish.
Good point Jeff, like I said I'm fascinated with British culture and music because my heritage is from England. And some of my ancestors moved from Liverpool less than 150 years ago so most of our history is the same. I wouldn't have gotten a Union Jack tattoo if I hated my ancestors.

-This person clearly has a horribly warped view of americans. The americans I have met (not a great number, but some) I found to be perfectly friendly. There are some at my school, and I'm not friends with them, but I don't actively avoid them, I'm not friends with a lot of the english at my school either.

-The accents, I do not find annoying, apart from when genuinely british people pick up american sayings or pronunciations, because I think its pretentious (bit like the Amanda person with the fake british accent in an episode of friends) In fact, I particularly like the southern accents.

-About the americans this person has met, and taken a disliking to, I imagine they were as described, but she's probably projecting her own views onto them. Just like many people watch david cameron on tv and say "Look at how smarmy he is!" when he isn't really, he just has that reputation because he had a top education.

-Fat people. We have them too. Plenty of them. We have groups of loud people in bikinis too.

Excuse me but it was President Bush who decided to go to war and Britain then decided to give his troops (American troops) support because of the special relationship between the United States and Britain.
However, the English woman's rant was totally inappropriate and I hope you reported it as such. Obviously a teen as no adult would criticize a country for its accents.
However the fact remains you are basing your post on one negative answer. Isn't that the same as becoming a racist solely because of one bad experience with a black person

Back