How do I get rid of the hard green Algae on my fish tank?

iwish40

Oct 13, 2008
My tank is a 20 gl tank..(Fresh Water)....My water is clear, the fish I have are 1 neon and a bunch of Mollies and Guppies, and 1 Mystery snail the size of a Golf ball. All are healthy.
I say a bunch of Fish because both the Female Mollie and Guppy have had babies...Especially the Guppy she's had at least 3 litters.(if that's what you'd call them)... I catch the babies after they are born and put them in the breeders net until they are big enough to put with the rest of the group.
Now the Algae is the Dark Green stuff that is growing on the glass,
My snail can only do so much!....I got a magnet but that don't work very well... So I resort to using a toothbrush, but that's a killer on the arms. I'm wondering if the algae is growing so fast is because I put a Algae wafer in the tank everyday, because the Mollies LOVE to eat it and so does the snail..The Guppies could care less.
Also, what am I going to do with all these fish?? Where can I sell them....They are MULTIPLYING LIKE RABBITS...
I have a 55 gl tank but my Oscar , Tire track eel, Dinosaur eel and Black Knife would probably eat them.
Funny the 1st answer says I should get a
Plecostomus..For whatever reason, They just will not live in this tank. They die, I've tried over and over, but this fish will not live in the tank..Even before I had all the Mollies and Guppies and ALGAE.

And yes, its the Hard Green Algae thats on all sides of the tank.

Back