How do I complain about my grade to my professor?

Sienna1901

Apr 25, 2010
I am an English major and I have a 3.5 GPA standing. I have received nothing lower than a B in my english classes and nothing lower than a B on any papers. I have always received good critique from previous professors. This semester I took an english class with a professor who is a real piece of work. I knew he would be hard and since there was only one term paper to write I had to make it count. I went to the writing center for help which he suggested and they said my paper was well written. When I got the paper back I got a C+. It isn't bad but it isn't great and since I got a C on the midterm (which I was also shocked about.. but that is another story) it will be difficult to get at least a B in the class. The problem is we got our papers back on the second last day of class and so I emailed him asking if we could arrange a meeting and he said that is was a hectic time and if I could tell him what it was about. I don't want to offend him via email but I really don't think I deserved that grade. He is also the head of the english dept and I'm also scared that if he gets the wrong idea he may lower my grade. HELP!

FYI- the project was to relate one part of a book to the whole of it. Pretty cut and dry but he said I was just stating the obvious throughout my entire paper. He also said I only "began" to analyze it, but in reality my entire paper was centered around analyzing it. I've never felt this helpless.
Thanks guys! He said he would meet with me which is good because his prior email said how he had no time. I don't want to complain about my grade to him per se, I just wanted to clarify some things about what I was thinking while writing the paper and improve my writing so that I don't make the same mistakes again. It was just frustrating because this was a paper that I put so much effort into.

Back