Had sex with my best friend. What do I do now (disclaimer inside)?

HailieBaker

Mar 9, 2011
Quick warning - yes, it is a long post but I think it will be worth a read for you guys. I tried to write as coherently and cohesively as possible so as to not just blabber nonsense.

So first off, I'm a 24 year old guy with a girl as a best friend. I've known her for about three years now (since our junior year in college) and we're as close a friend as two people can be. When I first met her I had a huge crush on her, but she was with someone else at the time so I sort of gave up on trying to have her for myself. When she broke up with the guy almost a year later I was already with someone else, and I didn't have any plans on breaking up with the girl I was with.

Anyway, she's been single for about six months now and I just got out of my relationship a few weeks ago. So I treated my friend out to dinner last night and afterward I drove us over to my house (she comes over all the time just to hang out). It was a pretty typical night. We just watched a movie while eating popcorn and afterward we talked a lot (mostly really personal stuff) and we were sitting unusually close to each other. I know we weren't drunk because we didn't have nearly enough to drink, but next thing we know we got even closer and just started making out and eventually having sex. It was quite honestly the best and most satisfying sex I've ever had. Early next morning we were just cuddling in bed like any couple would after sex. I even made her breakfast and then I drove her home. I'll admit there was a bit of an awkward silence in the car but she kissed me good bye almost casually.

Like I said, I really liked her when I first met her and a part of me still did even when I was with another girl. She's really cute, sweet, funny, and caring - really all I've ever wanted in a girl. However, since I've known her for so long I sort of put her in that permanent friend category and never really thought about having another shot with her. I don't know if it was the sex that finally brought out that attraction again, but I'm feeling a lot more for her now. As in, I want to be more than just friends.

So now I'm just wondering what my next step should be. I know I should talk to her about it, but how do I approach it? What do I say? It's kinda funny that I'm asking because she and I could talk about anything to each other with ease, but now I have no idea where to even start.

I should make it clear that even though I just got out of a relationship a few weeks ago, she is NOT a rebound girl; I would never do something like that to someone I care about so much.

Back