For the mma referees out there, questions about your job...?

john

Sep 3, 2007
I'm looking into becoming an mma referee, and as such want to learn as much as i can about the business. This question is also open to anyone who knows a great deal about the following topics:
1)What training did you go through to become a referee, and if it was a school, would you recommend that school in particular or are there other renowned places where the training is top-notch?
2)Is $100-$200 an accurate amount for how much you get paid per event? How many events do you work in a week?
3)What is your favorite aspect of being a referee in MMA?
4)I love to travel, and the thought of being able to mix travelling and reffing fights is ideal. However, I understand that when I am older (I'm 18), the responsibilities of being on my own may not allow me to up and leave to travel (i.e. family, other job, etc).
5)(This ties into the last question) I've heard that being a referee in mma is similar to boxing in that you get a license from the athletic commission from your state. Is it out of the ordinary for referees to get a license in neighboring states (or even countries)? If not, I take it they (the athletic commission of another state or country) would not pay for your travel expenses when it would probably just be cheaper to hire a local one?
5)I've watched all the youtube videos on mma refs making mistakes in fights by ending it too soon,etc. Outside of those, what are the biggest mistakes you have seen (or made) in the business?
6)Is there another connection with boxing in the sense that you start out with the younger, amateur fighters and work your way up the ranks?
7)What states offer the best chances for being a referee in terms of being able to work fights as often as possible? (I want to be able to work fights on a consistent basis, not just every now and then, if possible)
8)Last question! What is your best inside knowledge/advice you could give to me about being a ref?

Sorry if it seems like I was rambling or asking too many questions, I am just trying to learn as much as I can so I am able to perform my job to the best of my abilities. Finally, thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer all of these questions. I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Back