First time SUV owner, what can I expect for regular maintenance costs such...

Mitchy

Oct 23, 2008
...as brakes, any examples? Never owned a truck, suv, or minivan. Now I have a Toyota Highlander.
I have been doing regular maintenance on my cars for years, such as oil, filter, plugs, brakes, etc.

In particular, would anyone want to share what they paid for a brake job?
Or tires?
Etc...

I was looking up brake pad and rotor parts prices and was shocked to see $167 to $400 for buying a front end set or complete vehicle set of pads and rotors.

Crimony, I spent $80 on brand new rotors and pads for the front end of my last car, then installed myself.

Well for what it's worth, I've owned my '99 Tahoe for the last 10 yrs and owning an SUV is a significant price increase than a car. In my opinion, maintenance should be roughly the same as a car unless you do a lot of "work" with your SUV. The Highlanders are considered crossovers anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much on paying "SUV" prices as far as repairs, but your repair bill will increase due to your vehicle being newer and technology a little more advanced than your previous vehicle. Me, I plan on keeping my vehicle until the damn thing just disintegrates into dust, as should you. Once you go SUV, you dont go back, good luck! :)

Back