Dual sport motorcycle a good starter bike?

EeKe

Jan 2, 2013
I am 15 and looking for a starter motorcycle.

I have a driver's permit for a car and have passed the final driving test through driver's education. I also own a 110cc super pocket bike that I'm fixing up. It is not street worthy and needs a few parts (key start, kickstand, clutch cable, basic stuff) that I'm getting soon and should be learning on. It is far too low to take out and about, even if I made it street legal. My father used to ride motorcycles and between us we have go-peds (stand-up scooters) and go-ped karts (low-to-the-ground) in addition to the super pocket bike. I have no problems controlling any of these at 35+ mph and can ride a bicycle well. I am going to take the rider course for the endorsement and experience.

That being said, I need transportation to and from school. I stay after every day of the week and go to many weekend events, therefore need a reliable ride. The trip is about 10 miles each way. It would be very beneficial to be able to do highway speeds, as that is the most direct route. I live in an unpredictably rainy climate, but it generally does not rain more than once a month at the time I would be riding to and fro.

My main interest is dual sport bikes for lower insurance and the off-roading capabilities, but am open to other bikes. I was looking at the Suzuki DRZ-400S. The 250's seem a bit low-powered and I'm concerned about low maintainable speeds. I don't want to stress the bike.

The largest concern is that I'm a 5'6" female. I am rather strong, but if I dropped my bike (which I know I will) I need something I could pull up or not get trapped under. I can get and install a lowering kit. My father also needs to be able to comfortably ride, as I am planning to join the Air Force after college and ownership would go to him until I get back to the States. He's about 6' even.

So, is the DRZ400S a good starter, or will the higher seat height, decreased handling, and higher center of gravity make it tricky to learn? If not the DRZ, I'd probably have to go to the 250's, so what are my options there? Will any 250 be able to get up to highway and interstate speeds without breaking down? My budget is about 8,500 for the bike, any modifications (lowering if needed), gear, and accessories. Less would be better. The rest could go into savings, and that's never a bad thing.

Thanks.
I also have one of those small electric dirt bikes (15mph). I've had it close to 7 and 1/2 years now. Wiped out pretty badly a few years back and haven't crashed otherwise, but I've taken to being very cautious since then. I find it nearly brainlessly extremely easy to ride now.

The DRZ400 is a good bike for dual sport and learning.

You can lower it while learning and on the street.

I like the Honda 250 dual sport too. They have more power than you might think
and are safe and light weight.

You are tall enough that either will work for you.

Your experience will grow and so will your confidence.

Good Luck !

Be safe.

Take a MSF course then decide. Your criteria will change, if you listen in class.

I think it depends on your long term riding goals. A dual sport will be a poor choice if you mean to transition to sportbikes in the future, as the handling mechanics and seating position will be very different. If you plan to ride more standard bikes, though, you should be OK.

250s are by no means low powered and are very nimble. You won't be passing at triple digits on the highway, but no car short of a Ferrari will take you at a stoplight, and an experienced rider on a 250 can lay waste to a less experienced rider on a literbike in the twisties. The 250s have great riding mechanics. Plus they're inexpensive and have great resale value when you're ready to move on.

It is alot of bike for a total beginner, but not out of the question and has so many pluses that it's a serious consideration. Maybe a month or two on a 250 would be a good idea first.

Back