Do you have a good recipe for Homemade laundry soap; borax free, non-toxic?

Kari

May 19, 2008
Please read before answering! I have combed the internet searching for a laundry soap I can make at home, with ingredients that are non-toxic, biodegradable, and effective. I am NOT looking for a 1:1:1 borax, washing soda/baking soda, grated generic soap bar or any variation of said recipe. I do not want to use borax.

I make my own castile soap, and have read a lot of recipes that say to mix liquid castile soap with vinegar or lemon juice and baking soda, but I have also read that mixing castile soap with an acid will cause the saponification process to reverse, resulting in an oily mess unfit to clean with, and that liquid castile soap will fade clothing, along with some other undesireable traits for laundry.

Ideally, I would like to find a recipe that is built on ingredients I could make myself if the need arose (how does one make baking soda...), but I understand that may not be possible without going back to handwashing clothing with castile soap...but here's to hope! I can't wait to see what you all have to say!

Back