Do I have to buy AT&T service with an iPhone?

michael

May 11, 2008
I am looking at buying an iPod, but I noticed on Apple's website that they are soon going to release the brand new iPhone 4. The new iPhone 4 is really appealing to me because it takes pictures and HD Video and has a higher memory capacity than the same price iPod. By this I mean that the iPhone 4 that takes pictures, HD Video and has 16 GB of memory is $199, while the iPod touch only plays music and video and apps and has only 8 GB of memory at also $199. I know that the iPhone is cheaper because they expect you to get at&t service with it. I'm okay with getting the iPhone and only using like an iPod - to listen to music, watch videos, surf the web, etc. But for the same price, I would rather get the iPhone. My question is, will I be able to walk into the Apple store and just outright buy the iPhone 4? Or will they not let me buy it because I can't get the service?
Aw man, I can't believe I didn't think of that! I forgot that I have to get a two year contract with the phone for the price to be only $200. Never mind then. I'll just get the iPod. I'll leave this question up for a little while so everyone who sees this extra detail will know that I realized this. Thanks for all your help though :)

Back