Can I use vanilla bean in this recipe? How?

caren

Aug 29, 2008
This frosting recipe calls for vanilla extract but I happen to have real vanilla bean on hand -- When/how can I use it?

6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

1. Microwave white chocolate on high power for 1 minute. Remove bowl and stir with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula until it is smooth. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
2. Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined, 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the melted white chocolate and blend on low speed until just combined, 30 seconds. Add the vanilla and 2 1/2 cups of the confectioners' sugar, and blend on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 30 seconds more. Add more sugar as needed to ensure spreadability. Beat until fluffy (1min).

You can certainly use vanilla bean in your recipe. Slit a bean (or two) in lengthwise, and scrape out the tiny seeds. Add these to the melted chocolate as soon as you take it out of the microwave.
Here's a good page to read:
http://zoebakes.com/2011/03/08/how-to-use-a-vanilla-bean/

Ideally, vanilla beans are used in a preparation that involves a liquid. The scraped pulp of the vanilla pod is steeped in liquid along with the pod to extract the flavor. Using the pulp from the bean will be difficult to evenly distribute throughout the frosting. Plus, you will not have the added benefit of macerating the pod for additional flavor. If you ALSO have extract, I suggest using it and save your bean for something like vanilla ice cream, creme brulee or another prep.

Back