Can I use my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Canadian cell phone company like...

xanth

Nov 7, 2008
...Telus or Sasktel? I am currently a Verizon customer and I am going to be upgrading to an S4 most likely. My issue is that I am going to be starting school in Canada in September. I will be coming back to the US on all breaks and over summer so I need to find a way to be able to use my phone while here and also while in Canada. I am on a share plan with Verizon, so keeping my number, even if it's not being used, is no issue. I was told by Verizon that as long as the cell phone companies there use CDMA (which Telus and Sasktel do) then all I would need to do is get a SIM card from one of those companies and my phone would work with a plan from them. Then when I travel back to the US, I just put my Verizon SIM card back in and I am good to go. However, when I spoke with Telus, they told me that I would need to "unlock" the phone before being able to use it with them. Verizon tells me that if I unlock the phone, I can no longer use it with Verizon and that this is unnecessary since the phone has a SIM card slot. At this point, I am just lost with so much conflicting info. I know that I could also add on a plan with Verizon to use my phone while in Canada, but I am not interested in this as the data rates are extremely high and I just want to figure out if I can just swap out the SIM card to use the phone in Canada or if I need to actually unlock/flash the phone. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back