Buying a sport bike new or used?

Yogiebear

Jul 30, 2010
So I decided its time to get a sport bike and I'm going to start with a 600cc. This will be my first bike so I know I'll end up dropping it or so they say. So should I buy used since its fairly cheaper but still a good running bike? Or should I buy brand new one? If I get a brand new one will it hold its value so once I'm ready to trade up it will help me out? (If that makes sense.)
Ahh thanks for that. Well looks like I have some work to do as well as, find someone who knows motorbikes.
Easy, your input sucks.
I mean I've been riding for about 2 years on a 300cc dirt bike. But I'm just new to this street bike subject. I understand where you guys are coming from though and I appreciate all the feedback even yours easy.

Personally, I would go with used. Not many sport bikes retain their value. Trust me. Look on craigslist, and you could find a newer model, for a cheaper price.

first bike.. 600cc sports...LMFAO... mobile donor..

fairings on these bikes are not cheap... so even a slow drop will cost you big $$$$

buy a cheap reasonable condition 250cc bike (unfaired) & learn to ride for a year..

then step up to a 650 twin.... then look at the 600 sports bikes..

this way there is a chance you will see a few more years..

600cc and above sportbikes are competition closed course race bikes with lights added for street use.
They are not first bikes for inexperienced riders.
Read this article in its entirety.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151947

As to your question - buy used for a first bike.
A brand new bike, after a crash, will be worth less than a used bike .

Yogie you should listen to Easy, he knows what he's talking about.

Do not start with a 600cc sportsbike, learn to ride on something that won't kill you if you make a mistake.

If you must, the CBR600F4 mentioned above is probably not too bad and fairly user friendly, I would recommend a VFR750 or 800, they have a bigger motor but are pretty easy to ride without killing yourself.

Honestly though, you're better off getting an unfaired 250 or 500 and learning the skills before you go large. You'll be a better rider for it in the long term and slow speed drops will cost you less.

Experienced riders can spot a tryhard on a bike too powerful for them easily, and no, we don't think it's cool.

Back