2013 Jetta Stereo iPhone Bluetooth Problem?

MattMassey

Apr 30, 2013
I recently leased a 2013 VW Jetta SE With Convenience. It comes with a factory standard RCD 310 stereo. I own a 16gb iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3 (the most up to date version of iOS as of March 19 2013) and have successfully paired it with the car's stereo through Bluetooth. The music and phone call streaming works fine, but music navigation doesn't appear to work at all with Bluetooth. When I hit the next/previous track buttons on both the steering wheel and the stereo console, nothing happens. Also, no meta data appeared on the stereo console's screen. It just says "BT AUDIO".

I tried connecting my phone to the MDI cable in the glove compartment as well. When I did this, audio navigation DID work on both the steering wheel buttons and stereo console buttons. Also, the stereo console screen displays artist and track names for the music playing, and has menus for navigation the phone's music collection sorted by artist, album, playlist, etc.

I've done quite a bit of searching but I can't find any sort of solution. I've looked in my phone's Bluetooth settings but there doesn't seem to be any preferences that enable or disable audio navigation on the car. I've also looked in the preferences of my car's stereo, but there doesn't appear to be any solutions there, either.

Is there any way I can use audio navigation with my car's steering wheel and stereo console buttons whiled paired with my phone through Bluetooth without having to get a new phone or car stereo? I'm leasing the car, so I'm not allowed to switch out the stereo, and I'd really prefer to continue using an iPhone because I like using Siri for hands-free purposes while driving. Thanks

Blue tooth lacks the bandwidth for all that (think dial up). You'll have to get a cable extender and just put the phone in the ash tray or something. My personal solution (different stereo, similar problem) was to buy a 32Gb memory stick (largest the radio can recognize) upload my song and leave it plugged in all the time. Works pretty good, and no clutter in the cab.

Back