1997 mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 turbo no oil pressure?

Loren

Oct 29, 2008
i bought a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse gst 2.0 turbo i rebuilt motor the people who owned it before me blow the timing belt and the hot rod it and then put a rod thru the side of the block now there's no oil pressure the motor runs great but the lifter are clattering and i can hear a rod knocking used brand new parts i also bleed the lifters and did a balance shaft removal kit and i think i could of messed up i check the timing its right on the check most of the oil gaskets to make sure none of them looked like they slipped. Could i have a bad oil pump or was it because i forgot the prime the oil pump could that also be it. i would like to know i would like to get my car on the road thank you

i bleed the lifter thru a table vise that is what the machine shop told me to do because they said that the soak up oil and that you have to bleed them sometimes And no im not just fired it up one and i could hear it i pulled the bearing and it was fine crank was fine to no damage

Did you assemble the oil pump and its pressure plate/regulator check valve properly?

Also is the o-ring on the oil pickup tube there? I had an engine rebuilt and they forgot to put the darn o-ring on the pickup tube guess what they started it and had maybe 1-2 pounds of pressure, they quickly shut it down and took the pan back off and were checking it over and discovered that they had missed that o-ring on the pickup tube. They got one put it all back together and viola it jumped up to 55 psi like it should have been.

So you need to check things out it might be a simple .10 cent o-ring on the pickup tube like mine was, and it may have fallen off during the rebuild and you just didn't notice it.

Worst case you spun a main bearing on start up and oil is not getting past that point, or your oil pump is not assembled right.

Back