1997 GMC Sierra Air Filter Assembly Off?

Cory

May 13, 2008
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra, it is fuel injected 5.7L V8, CSFI, knowing that will help with this question.

What I am wondering is if its safe to keep the air filter lid off of the air filter, this exposes the air filter, the main reason I like to keep it off is because it makes the engine sound noticeably louder when accelerating, it also runs a bit smoother with no bogging down. Will keeping the lid off hurt the engine or is it harmless?
Yes the air filter itself is still kept in place, the only thing I removed is the top lid that was held down by two little clamps

You may be circumventing the Air Intake temp sensor/ambient temp sensor by doing this which is not at all good for engine performance on a fuel injected vehicle.

Are you saying you're taking the lid off but leaving the filter element in? If so, sounds like your filter could bounce out or get knocked loose. Either way, it will really hurt the engine if something big enough gets sucked into the intake without a filter, and over time even sand and grit could be getting in and wearing down your pistons and clogging your injectors. It's not worth it for the sound or power - get a K&N filter instead - that will make it sound and perform better safely

As long as the air still reaching the engine is still filtered, you should have no problems. An air box is just designed to keep out water, leaves, and other debris.

well i have a 98 chevy K1500 silverado with the 5.7L 350 so pretty much the same exact thing as you got, i know that the stock filter fits real tight in the box even without the lid, you should have no real problem at first, just that you have air from in the engine compartment is also going through the filter which is better but you also can have any loose debris get on the filter and make it worse, also even though the filter does fit real tight there's still a chance that over time the filter could pop out, i put the K&N air intake kit on my truck and it only gives about 10 HP which isn't noticeable but it gave it a lot better acceleration and the sound is deeper and better when i put it to the floor but at idle and cruising it doesn't really sound different, my honest opinion i wouldn't leave the lid off, might be fine for awhile but something could go wrong over time

Back