1996 Nissan 240sx won't crank, not the battery.?

Brenden

Oct 19, 2008
It's had a starting issue for about a couple weeks now. It will crank, and it wont turn over, so I turn the ignition off. Then I go to crank it again and it starts almost instantaneously. I was worried, but I had family problems going on at the time so I didn't investigate into it. The coldest night chicago's had in a while, a couple of days ago, I go to start it. It cranked really slow, and then tried to turn over but bogged out. Then I go to turn the ignition on again and nothing happened. No crank or anything. I did the headlight test to see if I had a weak battery, and the headlights didn't dim when I tried to crank it. So at first, I just took the easy way out and said, just jump it any way. So I tried to jump it, and nothing. I came home later and checked all of the fuses, relays (clutch safety switch, fuel pump relay, etc.) and they all turned up clean. I checked the fuel pump, and it was working fine (i had someone turn the ignition on, and i listened to hear it cycle). That came up clean. I'm thinking now, that it might be a bad connection from the battery to the solenoid. Seeing as how the bendix drive won't even spring out, it might be a bad connection to ground, or maybe a bad connection from the battery, a short, i'm not even sure. But at this point, i've run out of all other options. The battery is running 9 volts, because the car has been sitting for three days, and i've been trying to crank it constantly. It's been on the trickle charger since.

So, i'm pretty sure it's the solenoid. I just need to know where the hell my starter even is! I can't see it from the engine bay, and I can't lift the car till the weekend.

but can anyone explain to me why it would crank, then not turn over, the turn over instantly as soon as you want to crank it again? I thought that maybe I had water in my fuel lines, and they kept freezing, so i put heet in my tank, but nothing happened.

Back