1996 Dodge caravan V-6 3.0L Engine now cranks up but stalls immediately?

JeC1

Aug 31, 2008
This is the same vehicle on which I had the problem below. Previously, it would not start at all, so it seemed like a bad starter or starter connection. By moving the drive belt a little, I got the engine to crank up, but it dies immediately ( in about one or two seconds ). Then the starter or ECM seems to be disengaged, as it then will not even crank for a while ( several minutes before regaining the connection and being able to crank it up again.
If not a problem with the starter or ECM, could this be the distributor ( or more specifically its crank angle sensor ), which I've had problems with at times. It seems maybe the ECM cannot get a good read on the crankshaft timing and cannot get the injectors, valves, spark voltage in sync so it stalls. Or could it be the that timing belt broke or malfunctioned, but in my past experience with this problem, the vehicle would crank over and over, but not get any ignition at all.
********************************************************************************
Below is the previous problem last week..

When turning the key, only a single fairly loud click is heard under the hood ( like a solenoid popping ).This typically happens when turning the key 3 or 4 times in succession. On the 4th or 5th time turning the key, there is no click..the key just does not seem to engage anything. After a few minutes, something must reset, because this sequence happens all over again ( 3 or 4 times of a single click when turning the key then nothing again )

Sometimes the engine begins to crank just the slightest amount, but stops after only half a second or so, and then it wont even click again on the next attempt. Before this condition developed I would also have to turn the key 3 or 4 times to get it to turn over. The first 3 or 4 times it would only click, but after that it would turn over and generally run ok.

Pretty new battery, tests at full voltage. Starter was replaced not too long ago as well. I have two ECMs, and when interchanging them nothing changes. Sometimes when disconnecting, waiting a few seconds, then reconnecting the ECM, it seems to reset something so that the circuit at leasts clicks again instead of getting nothing.

Until a few days ago, it had a bad problem of running very rough and stalling everywhere, especially at or near idle, like it had a bad EGR valve or IAC motor. It would almost always restart ok though. It would also get very bad power pulling out of intersections, like it has a transmission problem. After I changed a couple plugs, it actually ran very well for the last couple days, then this condition suddenly developed yesterday.

Back