Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    sooner fan

Phone line somehow switched to another jack/line after Verizon outside repair?

I have one phone line with 3 different phones throughout the house. Yesterday they all stopped working (no dial tone). Inside test had no dial tone on Network Interface Device. Verizon tech also tested and determined problem was on their end. Tech fixed the problem at the telephone pole. Unfortunately I had to leave before it was fixed and wasn't able to test it before he left. Phones still do not work, but I now have a dial tone when plugged into the NID box. On a hunch, I unplugged the phone and plugged it into a line 2 jack that's been disconnected for 8 years. The phone had a dial tone and rang when I dialed my home number. This tells me that Verizon messed up something on their end & switched line 1 & 2. The customer service rep tried to tell me I had a wiring problem in my house! But, my phone has been fine for years, verizon does a repair outside, my lines are now mixed up and it's supposed to be because of my house wiring?! Must be their end right?

kittycat_carter
    You are correct. The technician must have found trouble in their cable or the drop wire going from the pole to your nid. He used either the cable pair,or the drop, or both from your old disconnected number to repair your active number. This will take care of your trouble as long as he swaps the inside wire at the nid, which he obviously did not. Sheer laziness is glaringly obvious in this case. I see it every day in my line of work.( phone tech. for 16 years) for a giant phone company( I probably shouldn't use names). Good luck....