Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received an email from the HR dept. regarding a position different, from the position I interviewed for....?

I received an email from the HR dept. regarding a position different, from the position I interviewed for with the company. Two days ago, I expressed my interest in the new position but I have not recieved an official offer letter. Is it safe to put in my two-weeks notice with my current employer? This way I can have a few extra days off work to relax or wait until I receive an official offer. I am thinking let's say I put in my two notice today and I receive my official offer letter on Monday. If I accept the offer on Wednesday, technically my start date would be two weeks after I accept the offer (Wednesday). Which would allow me like an additional week off work, because I put in my two weeks notice before my acceptance date. If I wait until I receive an official offer letter, I will start the new postion in exactly two weeks, they need me. I am just worried, if I start a new position now, I may not get time off during the summer months to vacation. Why do jobs want to start asapI received an email offering me the position, which is a little different from a verbal offer, right?

Downloads
    Uploads

I received an email from the HR dept. regarding a position different, from the position I interviewed for....?

A verbal offer is not binding - don't put in your notice. Call the HR rep, and state that you will not give notice until you have an offer letter in hand. Tell them that you need three weeks from the offer letter before you start. They want you in the position as soon as possible so that the work gets done!

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't till I got my official letter saying they are going to hire me. Just becaused you expressed an interested, 4 or 5 other people might have to. What would happen if you put in your two week notice and never got a offer letter?? You don't want to be stuck without a job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do not outsmart yourself.*

Member tttttt:tSEXYGIRLt:tttttt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would not quit my current job until I had an offer in writing. As for the time off in the summer, negotiate that as part of the offer. See if they will give you a weeks worth of vacation after you finish a probation period. Just like you can negotiate your salary, you can negotiate other benefits as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't put in your notice until you know for sure you've got the job. An email offering you the job, while a good sign, means nothing until you hear back from the HR rep. And don't just sit back and wait to get it, either. I'd give the rep a call today just to verify they got your response, see when they would want you to start, talk benefits, etc. Once you've got the details nailed down, then give your two weeks.