Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to become a fashion designer?

this may sound corny because i'm a younger kid but i have always loved the fashion shows and watching them, and i wanna be like that! but i dont know where to start, like i just want to make clothes and stuff but again, where do i start with all this? =[

Downloads
    Uploads
    crete an account with polyvore and make outfits

Downloads
    Uploads
    First, take a few art classes to learn how to sketch, and take a few sewing classes to learn how to bring your sketches to life.

Learn as much as you can about the fashion industry and history of fashion. A good place to start is a book on how the French influenced the fashion world, and there are several of these types of books at the library. My favorite is "The Essence of Style: How The French Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, Chic Cafes, Style, Sophistication, and Glamour," by Joan DeJean:
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2711182-6147353?asin=0743264134&afid=yahoosspplp_bmvd&lnm= 0743264134|The_Essence_of_Style:_How_the_French_In vented_High_Fashion,_Fine_Food,_Chic_Cafes,_Style, _Sophistication,_and_Glamour_:_Books&ref=tgt_adv_X SNG1060

Next, visit fashion websites and read fashion magazines to find out what's currently going on in the fashion world. Some of my favorite magazines are Vogue, Elle, and Bazaar. My picks for fashion websites are:
    http://www.style.com
    http://www.elle.com

As far as actual school, you won't have to worry about that until college. After you graduate high school, apply to schools that have fashion design programs. One of the most reputed art schools is Parsons The New School for Design:
    http://www.parsons.edu/

While you're in college, it will also help to apply for an internship at either one of the fashion magazine companies or at a fashion production company which organize fashion shows.

Junior Member MusarañaIncoherente's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you like fashion shows well then you can be a fashion show organizer....what I mean, fashion shows are just a tiny bit of the whole deal of being a designer (see how they last around 12 minutes? so, the show is just 12 minutes out of six months of hard work)

I may think that if you're young you're saying this just because but you don't really mean it, right?
    because, I mean, what tells you that you liking fashion shows would make you a good DESIGNER? maybe you can be a stylist or something, because just liking fashion shows doesn't mean you will be good when it comes to creating pieces.

2. being a fashion designer means taking up with LOTS of criticism to you work (school ain't easy either) and then trying to find a decent job....I struggled A LOT to get to where I am right now...most people give up on it...it's suffering and pain, trust me...
    ask yourself: am I willing to go through all that suffering?... and try and see if you really have a talent...if you struggle finding inspiration that doesnt translate into a cliche, well maybe this isnt the thing you want for yourself

Downloads
    Uploads
    start drawing out your fashion ideas and KEEP THEM. they may be worht something when presented in the future

Downloads
    Uploads
    start drawing out your fashion ideas and KEEP THEM. they may be worht something when presented in the future