Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does not following trends make me a hipster?

I'd just like to admit that I don't follow any popular trends but somehow i've been labelled a hipster when i'm nothing like that. I just like to stand out.

Does not following popular trends these days always add up to someone being a hipster or not?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definition of HIPSTER by Merriam Webster
    : a person who is unusually aware of and interested in new and unconventional patterns (as in jazz or fashion)
    Hipster by Urban Dictionary
    \hip-stur\n. One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat.

Let's just go with no because if you care so much to post a question, that means how you care what society thinks, so in retrospect, you can pretty much say that you're worried about lastest fashion and niches of society which above states that no, you aren't allowed to feel that way.

-The Hipster Handbook, Robert Lanham

Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds like you're trying way too hard!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on if you avoid popular trends because you generally do not like them or you avoid them just because they are popular.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a hipster means you try to stand out and look alternative and un-trendy on purpose, in order to get attention. In other words, it's going against the trends for exactly the wrong reason.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second what the others said. I think you may be perceived as trying too hard to stand out by not following trends for all the wrong reasons, and are therefore thought to be a hipster.

Do what you want. But don't do it simply to make people think of you as this way or that, or shun things simply on the basis that they're popular. That's way too calculated. Just be yourself. And don't be a hipster, dear God.