Two of the NBA's most divisive on-court personalities will not suit up for Team USA at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics this August. Thankfully, another of them looks set to don the red, white, and blue.
[Follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr: The best slams from all of basketball]
Oklahoma City Thunder superstar Russell Westbrook announced Friday that he has removed himself from consideration for the Olympic team. The five-time All-Star and 2016 All-NBA First Team selection did not cite specific reasons for his decision. Here's the full statement:
“After speaking with my family, I have decided to not participate in this year’s Olympics. This was not an easy decision, as representing my country at the World Championships in 2010 and the Olympics in 2012 were career highlights for me. I look forward to future opportunities as a member of USA Basketball.”
Westbrook's former Oklahoma City Thunder teammate James Harden also withdrew on Friday night. His announcement came during the second quarter of NBA Finals Game 4 via this prepared statement:
“As a result of many difficult conversations with my family, the Rockets, and trusted advisors, I’ve notified Jerry Colangelo and Team USA that I will not be competing at the 2016 Olympic Summer Games in Brazil.
This decision was a painstaking one that I did not take lightly. As a member of the 2012 London Olympic Gold Medal Team, and as Team Captain for the 2014 FIBA Gold Medal Team, it goes without saying that USA Basketball has provided me with some of the most meaningful personal and professional accomplishments of my life. I have been extremely blessed to wear the “red, white, and blue” and to compete at the highest international level with the greatest players representing the greatest country in the world. I sincerely hope I’ll earn an opportunity to represent Team USA again in the future.”
Westbrook and Harden join a number of high-profile players who have already decided not to participate in the Rio Olympics. That group includes a number of star guards such as Stephen Curry, Chris Paul, and John Wall. Nevertheless, Team USA should have plenty of capable options in the backcourt — Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, and Mike Conley are among the finalists still available for consideration.
While Westbrook and Harden will not be on hand to impress themselves upon the international competition, Sacramento Kings All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins will reportedly be among the 12 American players in Rio. Marc J. Spears of ESPN's The Undefeated has the news:
Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins has been told he has earned a roster spot on USA Basketball's 2016 Olympics team, a source told The Undefeated.
Cousins has never wavered in his interest in playing for Team USA in Brazil and has long been excited about the possible opportunity, a source told The Undefeated. A 6-foot-11, 270-pound All-Star, Cousins played on USA Basketball's gold-medal-winning FIBA World Cup team in 2014.
It's a stunning turnaround for Cousins and his public image. His first notable involvement with the national team saw USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo label him "immature" (for playing hard against players more famous than him, basically) at a camp in July 2012, an event that solidified Cousins's reputation as a man who does not easily shrug off criticism. However, Colangelo eventually praised Cousins for his contributions to the 2014 World Cup of Basketball winners (in a self-serving way), so there was no longer any question of bad blood.
Regardless, it's somewhat jarring to think that Cousins, as divisive and brooding a personality as anyone in the NBA, will represent his country at an event supposedly meant to promote international understanding. Here's hoping we get at least one international incident. I hear DeMarcus has a longstanding beef with Angola.

Many questions remain regarding which 11 players will join Cousins in Rio for Mike Krzyzewski's final tournament as head coach. Notable players often opt not to play for the national team in major tournaments, but concerns over the Zika virus have added new variables to this summer's decisions. In addition to the aforementioned guards, stars such as Anthony Davis, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Blake Griffin have removed themselves from consideration. Bigger names like LeBron James and Kevin Durant could join them soon, leaving second-tier All-Stars and up-and-coming talents to fill out the roster. None of those changes will be enough to change the Americans' status as gold-medal favorites, but it could affect the star power of the squad.
- - - - - - -
Eric Freeman is a writer for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @FreemanEric